----- Original Message -----
From: <heys...@xtra.co.nz>

> With your info i got off your website, the sunny16 + iso exposure rule, when
> using a meter do you use the meter reading and the iso=shutterspeed to
> calculate your exposure?

Did you mean "iso+shutterspeed"? if so, here is the answer (BTW, I may
overexplain, my excuses in advance for doing that):

When I use a meter, I set it for the ISO of the emulsion in use, then I take a
reading and obtain a "pair of exposure values", f/stop+shutter_speed, that is.
Then I translate that pair of exposure values to an equivalent pair for when
the f/stop is the one of my pinhole camera.  For instance:  My pinhole camera
is f/512, a meter reading gives me f/45 @ 1/30, there are 7 stops between f/45
and f/512 (45 -> 64,90,128,180,256,360,512), therefore the equivalent pair of
exposures values f/45@1/30 for my pinhole camera would be f/512 @ (1/30
+7stops).  1/30 +7 stops is equal to doubling the time 7 times 1/30 -> 1/15,
1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4secs,  my pinhole camera exposure should then be f/512@4
seconds plus any reciprocity correction needed for the emulsion in use.

> I used it to teach a class but had varying results, although i have
> suspitions that the cameras were dodgy.
> I just need a little clarification on this.
> But the ones that did turn out on my camera and one other were as near
> perfect as i could have hoped.

The only way to get consistent results from many cameras is if you have
measured the pinholes of all the cameras in a relatively accurate way, which in
turn allow you to know the f/stop of your cameras.  Obviously, pinhole of all
the cameras should be clean, free of burrs and obstructions.

> Also if you have any info on Pinhole under studio flash conditions i would
> really appretiate it, i had a formula worked out which worked well for my
> camera but had limited success with the others.
> I used
>  exposure = difference of stops from meter reading to camera aperture x 1.5
> If you have any suggestions to improve this, that would be great.

Here is what the Laws of physics MANDATE: you should give a number of flash
"pops" equal to 2 multiplied by itself a number of times equal to the
difference of stops.  For instance, stops of difference = 5, number of "pops"=
2x2x2x2x2 = 32 pops
And then you will have to give few pops more to compensate for INTERMITTENCY
(sp) EFFECT which for the above example would state: an exposure of 32 pops of
low power flashes (flash-A) is less effective that one single pop of a flash-B
with a power equal 5 times the power of flash-A.

If shooting negative material, you may obtain printable results for up to 4
stops of difference when using your formula, but for the more stops of
difference the more unlikely you will.

Hope it helps,

Guillermo