This makes perfect sense in my head, but it may not make sense written out.
I used this method when i was first starting out with paper negatives and
cardboard box cameras.  It really helped to have a photo teacher who gave me
a really good understanding of f/ stops.

I would do a series of tests to figure out what a good exposure was in
bright daylight for that particular camera, and write it on the camera.
Say, it turned out to be 80 seconds.

When I went pinholeing, i would take my SLR with it's built in light meter,
and figure out how many stops away from BDE the scene was.  BDE, or basic
daylight exposure states that under sunny conditions, the shutter speed will
be 1/asa of the film, at f/16.  I would set the asa on the camera at 125,
the shutter at 1/125, and adjust the F/ stop when I metered the scene.  By
how many stops away from f/16 the meter told me, i would know how many times
to double the 80 second time that I determined earlier.

Example: I metered the scene at 1/125 and f/5.6 with the light meter set at
1/125.  f/5.6 is three stops more than f/16, so i would double the BDE
exposure 3 times.  80... 160... 320... 640 seconds.  So, my final exposure
would be 640 seconds.  It was kinda a pain to figure out how many minutes it
was all the time, so I eventually just wrote on the camera how many minutes
160 seconds, 320 seconds, etc were.

This of course, does not factor in reciprocity, but with paper negatives it
doesn't really matter.  (at least I never bothered with it, and had pretty
good results.)

Now, i use a spotmeter which reads up to f/128, so i just double the
exposure a few times depending on the f/stop of the camera and factor in
reciprocity with a chart.

John