At 07:49 PM 9/19/00, Tom Miller wrote:
Hi Jeff,

The flare in your photos is from having the sun striking the pinhole
directly, which bends or flares the intense light onto the film.  As a
rule, try to not have the sun hitting the pinhole when making an
exposure.

For some reason, I've always viewed flare as a result of internal reflections in lenses, or at least that it was exacerbated by internal reflections, but this is the most intense flare I have ever had.

Throwing out the rules... the sun causes the flare; but why follow
rules?

I agree. But then pinhole photography seems to break the rules by its nature, things like images must be sharp, images must be undistorted, etc etc.

Your images are beautiful with the flare, maybe especially
because of it.  I think is works wonderfully in the photo of the old
buildings; and the placement of the sun and subsequent flare
accentuates the subjects in all three photos.

Thanks Tom...I'd agree that it is the effect that makes these photos interesting. Guess I'll be shooting directly into the sun next time I go out...

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/