On 07/02/2011 12:04 PM, Josh Wang wrote:
> My name is Josh Wang. I've just stumbled upon the PiTiVi GSoC website
> and is particularly interested in the idea about "time stretching".
> Although the application is over, to my knowledge this idea isn't
> taken this year. Hence, I still want to contribute to this idea.

Great!

> I have a question, does this time stretching involves inserting frames
> from in between frames?

In a sense, yes.  However, solving the temporal interpolation problem is
not actually the limiting factor for "time stretching" in PiTiVi.  For the
moment, we would be happy with the crude approach of simply displaying
whichever input frame is closest to the desired time point!*

The problem we face is that PiTiVi's internal design does not yet have any
(bug-free) way to express the concept of a video clip in the timeline
running at variable speed ... and if you think about it you can see that
this might be a nontrivial thing to integrate into the whole structure of
a video editor, as it requires timelines within timelines.

If you're interested in the "software engineering" problem of designing,
debugging, and building a user interface for time stretching in PiTiVi,
your help would be most welcome.  On the other hand, if you're more
interested in the "computer vision" problem of temporal video
interpolation, your help would _also_ be welcome.  PiTiVi may not be ready
to make use of a good temporal interpolator, but hopefully we will be soon
... and in the meantime, a good video interpolation library would be
useful all across the Free Software universe.

Welcome!

--Ben

*: This could be regarded as temporal interpolation by convolution with a
"box filter".