On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Mark <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Shaun Reich <sre...@kde.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraess...@kde.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Technical implementation aside: I think that makes absolute sense:
>>> * one vd by default
>>> * do not show pager for one vd
>>> * show pager if user uses more vds
>>

>> i agree that showing the pager only for on vd is a bit weird. but the issue
>> i'd like to address is that if you make the pager invisible and not taking
>> up space, then when the user is browsing the widget explorer seeing what he
>> can add to the panel, he tries to add the pager widget, wondering what that
>> does. but no feedback is given for adding it, and so they add it 10 more
>> times.
>>
>> as mentioned in the rb, i've personally witnessed this happen, and this
>> seems to confuse people, because they have no idea they need to go into
>> system settings and set the virtual desktop to > 1. if it said so/told them,
>> i imagine that would be fine as well.
>>

>>> Focus on technical implementation: I don't care much and cannot judge it,
>>> but
>>> my personal vote would be to just drop the pager from the default setup.
>>

>> I agree on this, since I don't see virtual desktops being used by people
>> other than power users. After all, we've got activities and we should be
>> focusing/refining on that for the majority of our users.
>>
>> i think that if we remove it from the default setup, we don't have to worry
>> about hiding the pager contents in the 1 vd scenario at all.
>
> Why are you folks discarding my usecase completely? Not even one
> comment on it. My usecase is very valid, i'm having it right now as i
> type this mail.
>
> Let me state it again.
> Imagine you have a setup with 3 "displays". 2 monitors, 1 beamer.
> Sometimes some apps decide to open up in my beamer area while the
> beamer is off (i guess because i moved the window there at some
> earlier time and closed the window in that area). When the pager was
> just showing itself with 1 VD it instantly showed me that an app was
> opened on the beamer area. One that isn't powered on. Discovering that
> and dragging the app back to one of the areas that is powered on is
> very convenient to have!
>
> I really think that you guys have a "1 monitor setup" opinion here.
> Yes, the pager is utterly useless with just 1 monitor and one VT
> because you see all apps on your monitor like you see them in the
> pager thus it adds 0 value. That statement is just not true anymore
> with more then one monitor.
>
> Don't expect me to put my VD setting on 2, 3 or 4. The bar gets quite
> some width with 3 monitors. And having them in rows is also not very
> nice to look at.
>
> I'd suggest sticking with how it was and showing the pager. Even if
> you have just one VD.

It's not difficult or so. Getting it back is a simple one liner.

Remove:
visible: repeater.count > 1

from main.qml (/usr/share/apps/plasma/packages/org.kde.pager/contents/ui/)
and it's back. After a plasma-desktop restart or removing/re-adding
the pager.

Just putting this in here because some people would likely want to
have it back and simply don't know how to do that.