Hi,

If your application has finished its job like e.g. an update notifier but should continue to run in the background, then use the "passive" flag. If you want to misuse the system tray as second task bar, then do not use the passive flag, but let it remain active. And if your application has finished its job and should not continue to run in the background then, quit the application upon closing the main window and do not continue to use the status notifier

So, that's exactly the way we have it at the moment, isn't it?

One question remains though, why do users not want KTorrent to take up 22px, but are okay with an indicator for the music player while having the music control plasmoid active too.

For example I do not use a taskbar/window list, if "background applications"
moved to the taskbar I would no longer be able to access them.

Or why are they okay with KTorrent taking up space while downloading, but not while seeding.

When downloading you likely want to open that file after it's done. To ease
monitoring, it stays there. Seeding is a process that does not involve the user
at all. But I don't know much about Torrent, so I could be wrong.

My solution would be to allow users to move the "active" state to the popup, while the "needsAttention" one will then still be displayed in the panel. Though only after they configured system tray to do it like that, not as default.

I like that idea. However, that would make monitoring system status difficult.
For example at the moment I have in my systray visible (Plasma 4, though):
- Amarok (paused) (btw I like that use mpris thing for that and don't have players
   sit in the tray approach), "Active state"
 - KMail 149 unread mails, "Active state"
 - KTP online, "Active state"
 - KMix, 50% volume, "Active state"

None of them have the "NeedsAttentionStatus" yet still they're all useful (except
maybe Amarok)

Cheers,
Kai Uwe