sharvey added a comment.

  Thanks for the investigation. I've been hoping someone else would lend a pair
of eyes to this problem for ages.

  When you change the icon in `user-manager` repeatedly, are you prompted for a
root password **every time**? On my system (Tumbleweed), there's a "grace
period" where I don't get re-prompted and the icon doesn't change reliably. It
may be different on different system. @hein has said this works for him, but
his system ( Fedora?) doesn't use `user-manager`.

  I think there's either a bug in QML or some weirdness in `user-manager` that
I haven't been able to track down.

  Thanks for the tip on cutting the `OpacityMask` circle, although I doubt it's
related to the bigger issue.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

To: sharvey, ngraham, davidedmundson, mart, apol, abetts
Cc: sefaeyeoglu, hein, plasma-devel, ragreen, Pitel, ZrenBot, lesliezhai,
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol, mart