Please read my previous commentary -- and I fully agree with your
observation on VMWare.  Version 1 almost was fully functional, and
version 3 seems almost painless and reasonably "fast".

Nonetheless, a licensed-for-free with source code available "vmware" would
be very useful.  A VM is *NOT* a new problem in computer science, merely
a careful technical implementation.  Virtual machines have been implemented
in some form or another since at least the days of IBM mainframes.