On 22/05/2012, at 11:59 PM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

On 22 May 2012, at 13:00, Dylan Jay wrote:

On 22/05/2012, at 5:47 PM, Shigeo Honda wrote:

I worry about PyCon is 'die-hard' python developer event and not
suitable  for Plone. So, I'd like to know how Plone community work
with PyCon in other countries. What kind of session is good for PyCon
attendees?  Please let me know your experience in PyCon.

I appreciate any advice and comments.

Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected. It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the python community. I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved with the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community than plone itself. It makes me think that if the python community aren't fans of Plone, then where are our fans?
Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.

Similar experiences with Europython the past few years. There were a load of Plone talks submitted this year, and the only ones accepted were the ones that did not mention Plone in the title.

As is already said, Plone in and of itself is not new and shiny. People naturally want the new and shiny things at conferences like this I think. But with regards to Python and Plone I think it is slightly deeper than that. I really don't know why, but it does seem that Plone still has a bit of a bad taste for 'die hard' python people.

One thing I did at a conference this weekend was to install Plone from scratch during a 5-minute lightning talk. I can do it in under 3 minutes. Basically running virtualenv, paster, buildout, bin/ instance fg. The idea was to show to python people that Plone is *not* some difficult thing to get going with.

for the record the talk I did submit didn't mention plone. It was called something like "zero to website hero in 30min" and was going to a complete themed site from start to end in 30min talk slot. Now I'm just going to have to do the same thing in a 5min lightning talk slot :)

The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads against brick walls… but then, I'm not sure how else we are going to get new developers into the community. We can work on the business level and aim at business conferences and do case study talks and the likes and hope that business decision makes choose Plone and drag developers along that way.

We need developers but they don't have to be die hard python devs. Python devs like making frameworks not themes :) Maybe we should be speaking at php conferences :)

My only other idea is to stick to doing talks on specific bits of technology that are new and shiny and showcase them. Things like Diazo… then again, I submitted a Diazo talk to Europython and that was not accepted either :(

-Matt

NETSIGHT

Matt Hamilton
Technical Director