On 31/07/13 14:42, Héctor Velarde wrote:
On 31/07/13 04:03, Dylan Jay wrote:
My understand was that you couldn't license a plone product with
anything other than a GPL license due to the Plone GPL license. Does
that prevent you from being to sell a plugin and not publish the
plugin on pypi or plone.org?

HV> I just take a look at the GPL and I have a different interpretation
(as with anything involving lawyers):

"These requirements [the conditions to distribute a modified copy of the
Program] apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections
of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably
considered independent and separate works in themselves,

That clause is key. In tech-speak, not lawyerese, that normally means that your proprietary plugin must be able to run standalone, or against a compatible interface that is not Plone. If you write a plugin that can only be used as part of a Plone installation, I'd consider that a derived work that ought to be released under a GPLv2-compatible license.

One can work around that by splitting the package into a "standalone" proprietary core logic module that does not require Plone, and a second GPLv2 plone integration module that requires both Plone and the proprietary work.

we license some Plone packages with licenses different from GPLv2, like MIT

The situation is different for utilities which are required *by* Plone, than it is for plugins that require Plone. utility <- Plone <- plugin

IANAL.

PS note what was said earlier: there's no requirement to publish a GPLv2 derived work to the world. Giving the customer GPLv2 code + rights is enough.

:*CU#
--
    Guido Stevens  |  +31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl

    s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y