On 2008-12-22 11:07-0500 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the process of updating the webpage, I've discovered that example 21
> segfaults on my new linux box. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit).
>
> hl:~/opensource/plplot-working/plplot-CBS-1$ uname -a
> Linux hbabcock-laptop 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC
> 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> hl:~/opensource/plplot-working/plplot-CBS-1$ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
> Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu
> 4.3.2-1ubuntu11' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs
> --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr
> --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
> --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3
> --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc
> --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
> --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.3.2 (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11)
>
> Based on printf debugging, I believe the crash occurs in plgriddata(). I
> thought it might be qhull related, but it doesn't look like qhull has
> changed since 2003.
>
> The example will run "fine" if I pull plgriddata out of the for loop (so
> that it only gets called once) and ask for type 0 (GRID_CSA?)
> interpolation. It will crash if I try type 1 interpolation. It will also
> crash if the function is inside the for loop, but is set to always use
> type 0 interpolation.
>
> Ideas?

In our extensive pre-release testing nobody noticed such a segfault.
However, one good possibility is you are configuring PLplot in a way
that is different from what we tested.  Therefore, please give all the PLplot
build details to give others at least a chance of replicating the
segfaults your are seeing.

Your report (in fact any bug report) should include the following:

(1) cmake options

(2) cmake output

(3) make output

Your report (in fact any bug report) should also include all the details
about how you are running example 21.  Build tree or install tree?  ctest or
command line?  Which specific drivers have you tested, etc.

Ideally, you should be running example 21 in the install tree as follows:

examples/c/x21c -dev svg -o test.svg

Or you could use -dev psc instead.

The reason I suggest these devices is they have no external dependencies. In
general, the reason you should run the example like above is it is only a
small step from there to rebuilding and installing with the gcc -c option
and using valgrind to figure out the memory management problem that is
causing the segfault.

I am also using gcc 4.3.2.  My system is 64-bit like yours. My kernel is one
version earlier than yours (2.6.26), but I doubt that will make any
difference in this case. Right now, valgrind gives a perfect result for
example 21 on my Debian testing system using -dev psc, but that is probably
because my build was done in a different way then yours.  So please give the
requested details so we have a chance, at least, to replicate the bug you
have found.