Hi Vadim,

nice to have one of the main wxWidgets developers around here ;). I have
been away this last week, so I only could answer today.

>  I'm looking into the possibility of using plplot for a project I'm working
> on and would like to ask for your collective wisdom about whether it's
> going to be a good match for it. The reason for asking this is that there
> are 2 things which I need to do in this project which don't seem to be
> supported by plplot currently and I'd like to know whether you think it's
> going to be reasonably simple to add support for them -- and also if you'd
> be interested in adding them to plplot. And, of course, also if I'm just
> missing something and if what I'm looking for is already possible, which
> would be the ideal answer :-)
>

>  The first of these things is the display of so-called candlestick graphs:
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlestick_chart
>
> This genuinely doesn't seem to be supported as it was requested before:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00650.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00699.html
>
> but nothing seems to have happened since then. So the question here is
> mostly how realistic would it be for someone knowing nothing about plplot
> internals to implement support for this new graph kind, either inside or
> outside of plplot itself and if the project maintainers would be interested
> in adding support for candlestick plots to plplot itself (which will give
> me the excuse for asking many more questions) and, generally speaking, if
> anybody has any advice about implementing this.

I think the other developers gave you already some advice on how to
implement this, and I don't see any reason why this is not possible. I'm
actually very interested in such features, since I also need them for a
project, but so far I've never implemented any new plot features to
PLplot so I wasn't sure how to proceed - this was something I wanted to
discuss on the list before but didn't do so far, since I wanted other
things to do first. So on one hand, I think it's not hard to do it
yourself on on the other hand I would be interested to add such features
to PLplot.
>  The second thing is that I'd like to have some degree of interactivity.
> E.g. I need to allow the user to click on the y axis to draw a marker at
> the given position (and then to remove it, maybe drag it around and so on).
> I'll be using wxWidgets driver so I'd be able to draw everything I need on
> top of the plplot output but I also need some cooperation from plplot to
> translate the (pixel) coordinates in the window to the graph elements, e.g.
> I need to translate them to the values on the axes. Is this already
> possible and I just didn't find how to do it? If not, do you have any ideas
> about how anything like this could be implemented?

Conversion from world to view coordinates is possible. In fact I already
have some classes which allow a lot of interactivity, e.g. showing the
coordinates in the window title, zooming and such things. I didn't
provide this code to the public since I didn't write it myself and the
code is not written to well and it is more specific to the project I
used it for as it was meant to be, since I always had in mind to extend
the PLplot-wxWidgets bindings with such convenient classes.  Anyway, I
would be willing to just sent to the relevant code. It may not be well
written, but you would easily find which PLplot function you need for
what purpose. I'm sure you (especially "you" ;) would be better off
writing your own widget just using this code as reference, as trying to
use the class itself.

Regards,
Werner

--