Hi Werner,

On 2009-09-11 20:38, Werner Smekal wrote:

> snprintf is available for MinGW/Cygwin. But not for Visual C++. The
> correct name is _snprintf which has something to do with C99 standard
> and very likely that Microsoft always had problems with standards.
> Whatever, plplot "knows" about that and I was about to get these macros
> through to the examples, but Andrew whistled me back, since the examples
> should not see private plplot macros, which is correct. So the most easy
> solution is to add something like
>
> #ifdef MSVCVER
> #define snprintf _snprintf
> #endif
>
> to solve the locally.

IIRC MicroSoft adopted this convention (leading underscore) to support
common library functions that are not part of the official standard.
(ISTR the practice itself is mandated by the C standard, but I am no
expert in this field).

Why it is not included as snprintf() in the newer versions of the
compiler - as witnessed by David Aldrich - is a riddle I can not
answer.

Regards,

Arjen