On Feb 11, 2010, at 14:15 , Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Of course, all of this is just a formal
> API breakage because in practice both libplplotf77cd and
> libplplotf95cd
> depend on libplplotd so there should not be an API breakage for the
> combination, but I think we should observe these API formalities for
> the (so)versions of libplplotf77cd and libplplotf95cd.

Yes, I hadn't considered that.  I think this would be a good idea
since (I think) it would prevent one from linking a "post-patch"
libplplotfXXcd with a "pre-patch" libplplotd (which would not have
any pltr2f between them) or a "pre-patch" libplplotfXXcd with a "post-
patch" libplplotd (which would have pltr2f multiply defined).

Whatever the final disposition of these two functions, I still think
it would be good to make plplot.h and libplplotd consistent regarding
them.

> I don't feel qualified to decide about this small patch so I am
> willing to
> go along with whatever the rest of the core developers here decide
> (especially Maurice who is qualified and who was encouraging about
> your
> original ideas on arbitrary 2D storage), but it appears to me this
> small
> patch is philosophically tied up with the ideas behind your big
> patch (or
> probably patch series) implementing arbitrary 2D storage. So
> perhaps it
> would be best to make this small patch part of that patch series so
> that
> your implementation of arbitary 2D storage could be evaluated when
> that
> implementation is completely done.

I agree.  Thanks to "git rebase -i" I can easily merge (and even
later break apart) these patches.  I will combine this patch in with
my bigger patch.  I will try to make time to send it out tonight or
tomorrow for review.

Thanks,
Dave