Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for your comments.  Ideally I'd like somehow to support both a
Ruby-centric installation (i.e the .gem file) as well as non-Ruby-
centric installations (e.g. apt/yum/port/whatever).  Alan's analysis
(showing that most people install plplot binaries via a package
manager) got me wondering about how most people install Ruby
extensions.  I've always done it via the "gem" command, but I know
MacPorts has a bunch of rb-xyzzy "ports" that can be installed, so
maybe people install Ruby extensions that way more often than I
imagine.  To tell the truth, I wouldn't be able to install a non-gem
Ruby extension manually without looking up how to do it! :-)

One nice thing about the gem based install is that it is very easy
for non-admin users to install gems under their home directories so
they need not bother the admins with installing gems in system
directories (but they can if they want to, of course).  I imagine
most package managers let non-admin users do that too, but I'd be
surprised if it were so easy as a non-admin gem based installation.

How does Debian package up Ruby extensions?  For example, is there a
"rails" package?

Thanks again,
Dave