On 2010-03-10 10:15-0800 David MacMahon wrote:

> I'm not really sure how to interpret alpha for the background of a GUI
> window.  What's behind the background to see through too?  For graphics files
> (e.g. .png or .svg) they might be overlaid on something else so background
> transparency there is more intuitive.
>
> Perhaps if the background is non-opaque, GUIs could draw an opaque
> checkerboard "backbackground" (like the gimp does) before drawing the
> non-opaque background?
>
> Or maybe the GUI widgets being rendered into have their own alpha channel and
> could therefore be layered in a way that would give the background's alpha
> channel an obvious meaning?  In this case, the GUI widget would need to be
> "cleared" before drawing the non-opaque background of a subsequent plot.

I think the best way to state this is that PLplot implements transparent
backgrounds for its modern devices, but other applications have to do their
part as well to allow overall background transparency.  There are already
some neat transparent background effects being deployed on the desktop
(e.g., if you move a KDE GUI it becomes transparent so you can see
underneath it) that show this is possible.  Thus, for example, I assume some
file viewers may already allow transparent background options of their own
so that when that is combined with a transparent PLplot background you could
see through to the application below.  Similarly, I assume there are GUI
options for GNOME and KDE to allow transparent GUI backgrounds.  But I have
not researched any of this yet.