On Mar 10, 2010, at 11:05 , Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> There are already
> some neat transparent background effects being deployed on the desktop
> (e.g., if you move a KDE GUI it becomes transparent so you can see
> underneath it) that show this is possible.

I think this might be a property of the window manager rather than
the window itself or the application displaying in the window.

> Thus, for example, I assume some
> file viewers may already allow transparent background options of
> their own
> so that when that is combined with a transparent PLplot background
> you could
> see through to the application below.  Similarly, I assume there
> are GUI
> options for GNOME and KDE to allow transparent GUI backgrounds.

If there is a window manager independent way of making a window's
background transparent then it would be great to use.  Not sure how
this would work on MS Windows vs X Windows.

> But I have
> not researched any of this yet.

Me neither! :-)

Dave