On 2010-08-23 09:44-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> I submitted plplot to linuxtesting.org.  Results are here:
>
>  http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/versions/plplot.html

Thanks, Orion, for arranging for these eye-opening tests to be made.
Will they be done whenever we have an svn trunk change or a new
release, or is this just a one-off?

>From this report it seems that anybody who compiled an application or
library against 5.8.0 is going to be in real trouble with later
releases until they recompile.  That's bad and completely incompatible
with our goal of minimizing backwards-incompatible changes as much
as possible.

Some of these backwards incompatibilities are due simply to sloppiness
on our part since many complaints use the following language:

<quote>
Member ??? has been added at the middle position of this structural
type.

Effect:

Layout of structure members has been changed and therefore members at
higher positions of the structure definition may be incorrectly
accessed by applications.
</quote>

This common gratuitous issue appears in virtually all our releases
since 5.8.0.  I don't think there is anything we can do about it at
this stage, but I am glad to see this gratuitous issue does not
appears in svn trunk versus 5.9.6, and please keep it that way from
now on (by adding new members at the end of the struct)!

Other issues appear to be changes we really want such as the present
two warnings in svn/trunk compared to 5.9.6.  If others confirm we
really want these changes and there is no way to do them without
introducing backwards-incompatibilities, I have been told in the past
that the proper course is to bump the major version in the affected
library, and make a note about these changes in our release notes.
But if we don't stop the trickle of backwards incompatibilities, I
think that means we are going to have to bump the library version
number for all our releases and again the user will be in trouble
since no distro is going to keep all those old versions packaged.

On such technical API issues, I will be the first to say I need lots
of help and practical advice on how squeaky-clean we want to be with
bumping the major version of each affected library so I hope others
here that are more comfortable with API questions will also comment on
the issues found in the above report.