Just to give an update on this topic to this list, I agreed with Hazen
off list to make checking for backwards-incompatible changes in our
API with abi-compliance-checker as easy as possible for him.
Accordingly, I have made some good initial progress with creating
scripts/check_backwards_incompatible_api.sh, a bash script to build
and install the working copy of PLplot from the local directory where
the script resides and to build and install a reference version of
PLplot specified by the user (5.9.6 by default). The bash script also
processes a template file with sed to create appropriate
abi-compliance-checker *.xml files.  Those files allow
abi-compliance-checker to do its job comparing the ABI of the
reference install with the working-copy install.

The Debian version 1.6 of abi-compliance checker doesn't work at all,
but I discovered that a downloaded version 1.21.4 of this perl script
works fine for simple PLplot libraries like libqsastime.  That result
was most encouraging. Therefore, I have checked in (revision 11164)
what I have accomplished so far.

Note my work is not ready for prime time yet. For example, if the two
headers required for libqsastime are expanded to the full set of
PLplot headers abi-compliance-checker currently stops with a compile
error. This weekend, I hope to rectify this issue and others to
achieve the goal of making Hazen's API checking life as simple as
possible for each of our C and C++ libraries.