On 9/20/2010 6:40 PM, Hazen Babcock wrote:
 > Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
 >> First, are any of you using plsmem() to obtain graphs w/o saving them to a
 >> file?  Encouragement in the form of success stories or warnings of trouble
 >> spots would be greatly appreciated.
 >>
 >> Another question that has arisen come in the form of image formats readily
 >> understood by the Smalltalk environment I am using, called Pharo and
 >> available at http://pharo-project.org/home.  I am still struggling slightly
 >> to understand the various twists, but it appears that it is willing readily
 >> absorb images made up of RGB and an alpha value (4 bytes per pixel instead
 >> of 3).
 >>
 >> If I am reading thing correctly, I could allocate an array of RGB values,
 >> let PLplot draw on it, then use a C function to copy the memory into
 >> RGB+Alpha array for Pharo.  Could Smalltalk do the memory manipulation?
 >> Yes, but there are usually great speed gains to be had by doing such
 >> looping in C, regardless of the details of how that is accomplished.
 >>
 >> The question for you is whether adding an alpha value
 >> has any interest to the future of PLplot?

I think it should be of interest and I would
like to see an OpenGL driver to support it.

It should be possible to have a very lightweight
OpenGL driver supporting both non-interactive and
interactive operation (say via a GLUT/FreeGLUT
interface for maximum portability and minimum
external dependencies).

Still on my list to work on when I get enough
round tuits....

--Chris