On Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at 23:15:12 (+0000) Andrew Ross writes:

 > Thread moved to plplot-devel as this is becoming a discussion on
 > new developments / improvements.
 >
 > On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 02:32:24PM -0800, Alan Irwin wrote:
 > > On 2010-12-22 11:00+0100 Jos? Luis Garc?a Pallero wrote:
 > >
 > > > Hello,
 > > > I think that PLPlot is a great tool. Thanks to the developers for
 > > > their hard work. I'm using PLPlot in order to draw worldmaps with
 > > > coastlines. I'm using plfill, plline and plmap functions and I find
 > > > they very useful. Nevertheless I have some minor problems (I'm using
 > > > PLPlot 5.9.7 compiled by me on a Debian GNU/Linux Sid).
 > > >
 > > > Using plfill I obtain a the message
 > > >
 > > > *** PLPLOT WARNING ***
 > > > plfill: too many points in polygon
 > > >
 > > > using polygons with 1000 vertices. Can I change the maximum number of
 > > > vertices at runtime or must I recompile the library?

 > > > [snip]

 > > Arjen has already answered you in general terms on the PL_MAXPOLY
 > > question (currently set at a hard limit of 256 in include/plplotP.h).
 > > If you grep through our code for that symbol, you will notice a number
 > > of fixed arrays that are dimensioned with that value.  I would welcome
 > > a patch to replace all of those with malloced (and freed) memory so we
 > > could do away with the PL_MAXPOLY limit completely.

A cautionary note: PL_MAXPOLY impacts a fair amount of code.  Also there are
heap-vs-stack performance implications -- e.g. directly moving from a fixed
allocation to a malloc/free each time plfill() is called could suck for the
many small-n-vertices polygon case.  Using per-stream polyline buffers is
better but more convoluted.  The short term solution is definitely just
recompile with a higher limit.

--
Maurice LeBrun