There are such libraries (Phil mentioned one). We could use these, it
just introduces another dependency on the core of plplot for what is
a relatively minor feature. Currently the plplot core and some basic
drivers can be compiled with almost no dependencies. For testing,
porting to new systems and potentially embedded systems this is a very
useful thing and worth preserving.

Of course we could keep the current code as well and only enable
shapefile support if the library is present. Shapefile support would
be convenient for users.

Andrew