On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>wrote:

> On 2012-11-02 07:45-0000 Andrew Ross wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 02:50:53PM -0400, Hezekiah M. Carty wrote:

>>> Alan and Andrew,
>>>
>>> The difference in the latitude lines in example 19 has been there as
>>> long as pltransform and the Baltimore example 19 page have been
>>> included.  The difference in dash positions occurs because plmeridians
>>> uses different rendering paths depending on whether it is given a
>>> coordinate transform function or not.
>>>
>>> If plmeridians receives a coordinate transformation function as it's
>>> first argument (C API) they it manually segments the latitude and
>>> longitude lines by repeatedly calling plline.  If no coordinate
>>> transformation function is passed to plmeridians then it calls plpath
>>> to draw the latitude and longitude lines.  plpath only calls plline
>>> once.  I expect that this is where the difference in dash positions
>>> comes from.
>>>

>> Hez,
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation. Now you mention it I seem to remember us
>> having the same conversation once before. Guess I should check the
>> archives first.
>>

> Hez and Andrew:
>
> I still feel it is a good idea to obtain the same result in the two
> cases if at all possible.  I assume manual segmentation of the latitude
> and longitude lines is necessary in the first case so
> why not use that exact same method in the second case?
>

> Alan

Alan,

I think it would make more sense to do the reverse - replace the mapform
case with a single call to plline.  That should give the best rendering
results across devices since each device can do its own optimized
rendering/handling of the single multi-segment line.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to make the code changes but I have
added this to my PLplot TODO list.

Hez