On 8/16/2014 1:50 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2014-08-16 06:50-0400 Hezekiah M. Carty wrote:
>
>> I agree with Hazen here - adding hooks on day one seems overkill for
>> the project.  [...]
>> Given that the project and developers are overall new to git I think
>> it would be premature to start stacking automated restrictions on top
>> of our use of the tool.
>
> That said, I appreciate you and Hazen are anxious to get started with
> git for PLplot after such a long wait, and I also feel similarly even
> though I am pretty much still a git newbie.  So I suggest we should
> jointly review my decision (to not allow push to the official repo
> until we get the required modification of the update hook figured out)
> sometime late next week (say roughly in 6 days from now).  That gives
> enough time to find out if Brad King is willing to share his
> implementation, and also to pursue a lot further the backup plan of
> modifying .git/hooks/update(.sample) appropriately ourselves.

Unfortunately all I can report so far is that I have not had much luck
with the obvious google searches such as "git hook enforce merge only".
So while presumably this enforcement is possible, it also seems to be rare.

As an aside, an interesting client-side hook to develop would be one
that automatically runs uncrustify. I know that I'm not very good about
doing this manually.

-Hazen