On 2015-02-20 12:40-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> I want to build PLplot on Linux in such a way that all the
components (drivers and supporting libraries like nn and csa) are
retrieved via the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. The path must not be
hard-coded. What CMake do we have for that?

Use the cmake command-line option -DUSE_RPATH=OFF (which normally
defaults to ON) for our build system in order to turn off setting
rpath for our installed libraries.

This is necessary in order to allow LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work since the
Unix run-time loaders always ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH for a particular
library if rpath is set for that library. This Linux behaviour of
rpath (if set) always superseding LD_LIBRARY_PATH is inherited from
POSIX.  There have been many debates about this behaviour in the
Debian community because many there would prefer a different behaviour
where (hard-coded) rpath was simply a last-resort if LD_LIBRARY_PATH
was not set.  However, so far Debian (and the rest of Linux, I assume)
continues to stick to the POSIX behaviour which is why you need to set
-DUSE_RPATH=OFF for the PLplot case if you want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.