On 2015-02-23 10:37-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:

I had the same problem with "git am" (which uses "git apply" from what I  understand).  I did a "git
fetch" and "git merge" before "git am"

bash-3.2$ git am --whitespace=warn ../mbox
Applying: Redesigned wxWidgets Driver
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:13:
 trailing whitespace.
// Needed for clock_gettime
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:14:
 trailing whitespace.
#include <time.h>
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:23:
 trailing whitespace.
       const size_t          mapSize = 1024 * 1024;
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:28:
 trailing whitespace.
       int                   nTries = 0;
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:29:
 trailing whitespace.
       char                  mapName[PLPLOT_MAX_PATH];
error: patch failed: drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp:34
error: drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 Redesigned wxWidgets Driver
The copy of the patch that failed is found in:

/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --resolved".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".

I double checked that even with the
venerable command-line "patch" command (nothing to do with git), the
patch would have cleanly applied:

Before merge this morning when master tip was 0a1ff58

software@raven> patch --dry-run -p1 </tmp/0001-wxwidgets-device-driver-use-high-resolution-timer-to.patch patching file drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp

Then I merged today's changes so master tip was 0ef2c8 and the
patch still would have applied cleanly (which makes sense because Phil
has not yet made changes in this area):

software@raven> patch --dry-run -p1 </tmp/0001-wxwidgets-device-driver-use-high-resolution-timer-to.patch patching file drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp
Hunk #2 succeeded at 1063 (offset -24 lines).

So I don't know what happened to
0001-wxwidgets-device-driver-use-high-resolution-timer-to.patch when
trying to transfer it to your machine via an e-mail attachment, but I
would encourage you to try the equivalent of the above commands to
check that patch file (note the --dry-run option means the patch is checked
without applying it).

Also, I am going to try again to attach the patch to this e-mail, but
this time in compressed form just in case some software in the mail
train between us is changing the bits in a pure text attachment. That,
of course, should not happen for standards-compliant mail software,
but you never know with pure text. Please check that compressed patch
file by uncompressing it, comparing with the patch file you derived
before from your e-mail, and trying the "dry-run" procedure above. If
that "dry-run" procedure works, then git am (and git apply for that
matter) should "just work".  But "git am" is far preferred because it
saves all the relevant git information for my commit (date, author,
etc.,) in a git commit on your topic branch.