Hi Alan, all;
    I think I've found why the libs are not found. When built with the
"normal" options:

  cd build_dir
  cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
      -DENABLE_octave=off \
      -DENABLE_tcl=ON \
      -DENABLE_tk=ON \
      -DPL_FREETYPE_FONT_PATH=/usr/share/fonts/TTF \
      ../
  make

The libraries do not have a suffix "d" anymore, and the gdl cmake script
looks specifically for libplplotd and libplplotcxxd (I suspect this is true
of a good many other packages that look for plplot -- IIRC I copied the GDL
files and modified them to find the Fortran libs for gtk-fortran).

The installed files I have are:
[james@manjaro build]$ pacman -Ql plplot-git | grep /usr/lib/libpl
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplf95demolib.a
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplot.so
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplot.so.12
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplot.so.12.0.1
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotcxx.so
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotcxx.so.11
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotcxx.so.11.0.0
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95.so
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95.so.11
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95.so.11.0.0
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95c.so
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95c.so.11
plplot-git /usr/lib/libplplotf95c.so.11.0.0
<etc>

The problem occurs both with the release and cvs versions of GDL as of a
few days ago anyway. But if you download the 0.9.5 release from sf, and
unpack it then make a build dir and run "cmake" in the build dir, it fails
at the stage of finding plplot.

The specific build in the AUR PKGBUILD file is:

  mkdir build
  cd build
  cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DPYTHON=YES -DPYTHONVERSION=2.7 \
      -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python2.7 \
      -DMAGICK=NO -DFFTW=YES -DHDF5=YES -DHDF=NO -DGRIB=YES -DUDUNITS=YES \
      -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-I/usr/include/ImageMagick \
            -I/usr/include/python2.7 \
            -I/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include" ..
  make

but it also happens without the various other options.

James