Hi Jim:

Could you clarify the purpose of the -mfi and -mfo options
and the plreadmetafile routine?

It appears the options simply set metafile input and output file names without
doing anything else contrary to their self documentation in src/plargs.c
of "Read the specified PLplot metafile" and "Write the plot to the
specified PLplot metafile".

The only potential actual use of mf_infile I can find within the
source tree is in plreadmetafile.  That function appears to do
something similar to plrender, and it is only used in
examples/c/test_plbuf.c with an explicit name rather than NULL so the
result is mf_infile is just a placeholder (i.e., never actually used
in our current source tree).

By the way, if my interpretation of the purpose of plreadmetafile is
correct, can plrender simply call plreadmetafile (with an explicit
name for the plmeta file as read from the command line) to allow
removal of a lot of (redundant) code from plrender?

I can also find no actual use of mf_outfile anywhere in the source
tree.  So this appears to be a placeholder as well.

Since we are in deep freeze now, we should leave these placeholders in
place for this release and not mess with plrender, but post-release
(or on a topic branch now), you should remove these options or
actually use them for something (with better documentation strings
such as "Set an input plmetafile name" and "Set an output plmetafile
name"), and you might also wish to call plreadmetafile from plrender
(if my above interpretation of the purpose of plreadmetafile is
correct).