Here is where I think we are.

The deep freeze is still in effect.

I have given up on the possibility of fixing the plend problems this
late in the release cycle which I thought might be a spin-off from
Norm's xwin plend fix that was being discussed.  We will also put off
dealing with that xwin fix itself until post release.

Phil has told me off list that he is swamped so it is unlikely he can
contribute further to this release effort.  Therefore, to deal
partially with that I will write the release notes for wxwidgets, and
let the other wxwidgets documentation issues slide. Also, Jim has
kindly agreed to at least look at the one last release-critical
wxwidgets issue which is to get OLD_WXWIDGETS=ON to work properly.

I am currently dealing with two build-system issues which are (1) the
remaining MSVC visibility issues that I became aware of yesterday (to
fix that all apps need the -DUSINGDLL COMPILE_FLAGS property set for
the shared library case), and (2) some target dependency logic that
doesn't work correctly for the installed examples build-system case
that is screwing up my attempts to do comprehensive testing on Linux.