On 2015-03-24 14:55-0400 Jim Dishaw wrote:

> One solution to the plsc issue is to use thread local storage. Both gcc and
> msvc support it.

I had frankly never heard of that, but I have now looked it up, and it
does sound like it might work, but with some caveats.

The biggest of those in my opinion is it is not part of the c99
standard (see
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6869391/using-thread-in-c99>). So
I would recommend we do a lot more testing of all possible compilers
(e.g., clang, Intel) before getting comfortable with this idea, and
currently I am just more comfortable if we deal with this issue in the
old-fashioned way (i.e., with API changes).