On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 02:51:12PM -0400, Hazen Babcock wrote:

> This e-mail is to provide a summary of what we had discussed, please let
> me know if I left anything out. I think we had a consensus that the
> following change would be made as part of a possible version 6:
>
> 1. All API functions return error codes.
>

> I think we also agreed on these items, which might not actually require
> a major version bump as the actual change to the API is potentially
> small / nil:
>
> 2. Thread safety.
>
> 3. Improved text handling between core and the drivers.
>

> And there was some discussion about whether this was a good idea:
>
> 4. Core handles some text rendering.
>

> Now I think the question is if the effort and disruption involved in (1)
> justifies making the change. I would say that I'm neutral about this. I
> feel that it is the way a modern library should behave. However I'm not
> sure that the fact that PLplot does not currently work this way is
> actually causing a lot of problems for people.

Hazen,

There are some cases where 1) does cause problems - notably for
interactive drivers like octave where you do not want errors to result in
the program being killed off. The library should report the error and let
the program deal with it.

It also causes lintian warnings on Debian as it is a Bad Thing (TM) for
libraries to do. (For those who don't know, lintian is a package checking
program which looks for a whole range of errors / breaches of policy / bad
practice when packaging software for Debian).

Andrew