On 2016-01-03 08:52-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> This does look like a problem, unless there is specific permission for
> this file?

See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna> and especially
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lenna.png for historical
information concerning this test image.

It is clear from these references that the playboy connection annoys a
signicant fraction of the population, and the licensing is
problematic.  Also, I must say I am frankly tired of looking at Lena's
face especially in the distorted forms. (I have just finished the
process of getting example 20 to work correctly for our new Fortran
binding so I have just completed watching many _slow_ repetitions of
that example!)

Anyhow, I would welcome the opportunity to try a new properly licensed
test image for example 20.  And I think a picture of a pet would be
better than using a picture of a human since distortion of the image
is part of our example 20 test.  So I would like to change the test
image to a PPM gray-scale version of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Westie_Chloe.jpg>.  PPM is easy to
read in (e.g., in example 20), and gray scale is easiest for our cmap1
colours (which are used by plimage) to interpret (although any image
format with paletted colors as opposed to direct colors would work).

I particularly like that image as a test image because the subject is
cute, we obviously won't lose much information converting it PPM
gray-scale, and the image is licensed under the "Creative Commons
Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported" license which apparently allows
us to use the image any way we like so long as we give proper credit
to its author.

Is everyone willing to go along with this plan?