On 2016-01-03 12:25-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2016-01-03 08:52-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:
>
>> This does look like a problem, unless there is specific permission for
>> this file?
>
> See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna> and especially
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lenna.png for historical
> information concerning this test image.
>
> It is clear from these references that the playboy connection annoys a
> signicant fraction of the population, and the licensing is
> problematic.  Also, I must say I am frankly tired of looking at Lena's
> face especially in the distorted forms. (I have just finished the
> process of getting example 20 to work correctly for our new Fortran
> binding so I have just completed watching many _slow_ repetitions of
> that example!)
>
> Anyhow, I would welcome the opportunity to try a new properly licensed
> test image for example 20.  And I think a picture of a pet would be
> better than using a picture of a human since distortion of the image
> is part of our example 20 test.  So I would like to change the test
> image to a PPM gray-scale version of
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Westie_Chloe.jpg>.  PPM is easy to
> read in (e.g., in example 20), and gray scale is easiest for our cmap1
> colours (which are used by plimage) to interpret (although any image
> format with paletted colors as opposed to direct colors would work).
>
> I particularly like that image as a test image because the subject is
> cute, we obviously won't lose much information converting it PPM
> gray-scale, and the image is licensed under the "Creative Commons
> Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported" license which apparently allows
> us to use the image any way we like so long as we give proper credit
> to its author.

Hi Orion:

There were other PLplot topics that intervened, but I have now finally
implemented the above plan as of commit
<http://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/plplot/ci/1caa2370a9a48e0ab5a76f0908cda96a9d7b3592/>.
The summary is Lena has now been replaced with Chloe, an
attractive-looking Westie, but consult that commit message for the
details.  You should be able to close the RedHat bug once you have
packaged that version of PLplot or later.