For a variety of reasons discussed below I think it is time (unless
someone strongly objects) for us to deprecate the MinGW/MSYS in favour
of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 and other Windows alternatives.

One advantage MinGW/MSYS can still claim is libraries such as PLplot
built on that platform are native Windows libraries and do not depend
on any special dll such as the Cygwin dll that is a required
dependency for all software built on Cygwin.  But that advantage is no
longer unique to MinGW/MSYS because MinGW-w64/MSYS2 (a completely
independent project with different developers than the ones who are
still supporting MinGW/MSYS) shares that same advantage.

I have always had something of a negative view of the MinGW/MSYS
platform because it provided few of the PLplot soft prerequisite
libraries.  This substantial constraint has historically made PLplot
extremely limited on MinGW/MSYS with none of our best device drivers
available as a result. That is a big contrast with both the Cygwin and
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 platforms which supply essentially all PLplot soft
prerequisites making PLplot extremely powerful on those platforms.

Furthermore, I just plain don't like the MinGW/MSYS lack of quality
control on the packages they build.  The recent egregious example of
this (which was the motivation of this e-mail) is the gcc-4.9.3
release for MinGW/MSYS.  According to the release announcement by
Keith Marshall (who no longer uses Windows (!), but instead has
created this version using cross-compilation) this is an experimental
version that does not support either Posix threads or Ada due to other
long-standing issues with MinGW/MSYS.  However, despite these
"experimental" caveats this is the version MinGW/MSYS users
automatically download if they update their system, and as a result
complaints are beginning to trickle in about gcc no longer working on
this platform!

According to
<https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20introduction> "MSYS2 is
an independent rewrite of MSYS, based on modern Cygwin (POSIX
compatibility layer) and MinGW-w64 with the aim of better
interoperability with native Windows software."

>From Greg's good comprehensive test results on the MinGW-w64/MSYS2
platform, I think the MSYS2 developers have fulfilled this promise,
and meanwhile there continue to be the packaging issues like the one I
mentioned above for gcc on MinGW/MSYS.  Thus, it appears that
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 does a _much_ better job of implementing the original
idea behind MinGW/MSYS than MinGW/MSYS currently does, and it is
therefore time to deprecate the latter platform.  As a result I plan
to ignore MinGW/MSYS and emphasize only MinGW-w64/MSYS2, Cygwin, and
MSVC when calling for comprehensive testing of Windows platforms from
now on.  And from time to time I will likely put some "deprecated"
qualifiers into our wiki for pages that discuss PLplot on the
MinGW/MSYS platform.