On 2016-12-18 15:01-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

> to summarize, there are 3 options
>
> 1) Make the stream creation call happen *only* in
> frame->Show();
> delete the function
> wxPLplotwindow::OnCreate
>
> this makes the stream creation to always happen in Show(); only
>
> 2) Leave the code like it is
> like it is the stream creation is always created in Show(); actually,
> as you can see from both (yours, mine)  print sequences
>
> so the
> wxPLplotwindow::OnCreate
> does not actually have any effect now, but it's there for debugging reasons

Got it.  Thanks for the explanation that clarified that and put my
concerns to rest.

[...]
> 3) Leave the code like it is but add further debugging features like
> the millisecond resolution

I am not qualified to make a choice.  Therefore, it your choice, i.e.,
go ahead and implement (1) if you think it is better than (2) or stick
with the status quo (2).

Time is one of my big interests (see the timeephem project below) so
with regard to (3) I have changed my mind and plan to implement the
nanosec solution myself using a particular POSIX timers call to
clock_gettime() with appropriate checks that this optional POSIX
extension actually exists on the platform.  Since this is so near
release I will also add a Linux-only check just in case there is some
loophole in my preprocessor logic for detecting this extension on
non-Linux platforms.  This will be implemented such that your
present calls to wxLogDebug(<some string>) will be replaced
by using the macro PLPLOT_wxLogDebug(<some string>).

I also plan to use PLPLOT_wxLogDebug in the -dev wxwidgets code
to attempt to track down the cause of the big pause later today.