On 2016-12-22 09:32-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

[...]
> I now use a Tcl script to compare the files (because of lack of a suitable
> command under Windows - sigh)
[...]

Hi Arjen:

I got curious about that, and a google search found
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6877238/what-is-the-windows-equivalent-of-the-diff-command>
where some of the suggested windows equivalents of the diff command seemed to
meet with universal
approval.

The problem is that is a start of a long difficult path where you end up
trying to mimic the logic of our current test system that depends
on bash and several other Unix tools (such as cmp and/or diff).

So I think instead you might want to consider simply putting the
relevant Unix tools from MinGW-w64/MSYS2 (or Cygwin) on your PATH and
proceeding from there to test your MSVC + ifort platform.  As I recall
you tried that approach before, and the Windows approach for setting
the PATH was not working for you. But I think it would work if you
simply executed the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 bash.exe by typing in its full
pathname from a CMD environment, set the environment variables such as
PATH that you need to set using bash facilities (e.g., running the
source command on a file containing all the export commands that you
need so you don't have to execute those export commands by hand), and
then ran the comprehensive test script from that environment with
nmake specified as the build command.

I am pretty confident this approach would work because it is
equivalent to the approach I used to take for testing the old MinGW
(without old MSYS) build that used the "MinGW Makefiles" generator on
the Wine version of Windows. All those tests were done from a CMD
environment using the old MinGW make command (mingw32-make.exe) but
with the old MSYS bin directory on the PATH to give access to the Unix
tools needed for the tests (but avoiding using those tools for the
build itself).  So I don't see why you cannot do the same with
nmake.exe replacing mingw32-make.exe.

In sum, I recommend you take another serious look at this general
approach (with Unix tools used just for testing but expressly not used
for the build) the next time (likely in 2017) that you have a chance
to work on PLplot testing on the MSVC + ifort build platform.