Hi Alan
I'm not sure if that would work. If I execute (I.e. Run or debug) that project,
would it run the example?

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Alan W. Irwin
Sent: 29 December 2016 00:26
To: Phil Rosenberg; Pedro Vicente; Laurent Berger; PLplot development list
Subject: RE: wxwidgets-related dependencies

On 2016-12-28 19:14-0000 p.d.rosenb...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Alan

> The problem with building all is that it rebuilds all the examples.
When using static libs this means relinking them as well and the whole
process takes a few minutes, rather than the few seconds to build one
example.

I agree "a few minutes" is clearly not acceptable in a development
environment where you don't want to wait that long before you try your
next code changes.  (I can whittle that down to 5 seconds here for the
shared library + dynamic devices case if I use the options
-DDEFAULT_NO_DEVICES=ON -DPLD_wxwidgets=ON -DDEFAULT_NO_BINDINGS=ON
-DENABLE_cxx=ON -DENABLE_wxwidgets=ON, but you might not be able to do
that well there for the static case and with your different compiler
and linker, and in any case even 5 seconds is a bit much).

Therefore, to deal with your special testing needs, I would be willing
to define a bunch of custom test targets called

test_x00c_wxPLViewer,..., test_x33c_wxPLViewer

which depended on wxwidgets, wxPLViewer and the relevant C
standard example and which would run, e.g.,

examples/c/x00c -dev wxwidgets

For the "00" case, and similarly for the rest of our standard
examples.  The above command has been expressed in Linux terms, but
CMake allows you to run that command in a way that should work on all
platforms. So the end result should be you would click on one of
test_x00c_wxPLViewer,..., test_x33c_wxPLViewer buttons in your IDE,
all prerequisites would be rebuilt, and the relevant example would be
run with -dev wxwidgets.

If that idea would work for you, let me know, and I will put it
on my post-release ToDo list.