I have made the official announcement concerning the PLplot-5.12.0
release on the plplot-general list, and I thank all of you who helped
during this last release cycle (with the total number of commits near
400!) to create and test this release.

Obviously, the push freeze required for the release has now been
removed so I highly encourage all of you to mature your various
development topics and (for official developers) push them to SF
master or (for other developers) create a patch or patches concerning
your topic using "git format-patch" (see README.developers) and send
that patch (or patches) to this list as a compressed attachment for
review.

What a mental relief to get this 5.12.0 release done! I am especially
proud of the work I did late in the release cycle of rewriting large
parts of the DocBook documentation for this release.  The issue that I
discovered time and again (with some outstanding exceptions such as
the Ada and Fortran documentation) was a lot of that documentation had
been written in the early 90's and therefore had little relevance any
more.  Even after all of that large rewriting effort (which was
equivalent to rewriting much of a 300-page [!] technical book), there
is still more to be done. So our documentation is likely still the
weakest part of PLplot and the largest barrier to adoption by new
users.  So _please_ if you care about attracting new PLplot users
(which you should do since that is where help for the next generation
of PLplot will be coming from) look over the rewritten documentation
(at <http://plplot.sourceforge.net/documentation.php>), and if you
spot any remaining issues (especially any obviously dated chapters)
please go ahead and update the relevant file in doc/docbook/src and
push the result or circulate the patch here as appropriate.

For my initial development work for this release cycle I plan to try
to solve the remaining Linux inefficiency issues for wxwidgets. (I am
giving top PLplot priority to that development topic because I think
once those Linux inefficiency issues are completely solved, then our
wxwidgets device will start competing with our other two high-quality
interactive devices (cairo and qt) and could potentially attract a lot
of new Linux wxwidgets users to PLplot.) Furthermore, if that
development topic is a success, I plan to create a bug-fix release
(5.12.1) containing that fix, any additional fixes concerning
wxwidgets that Phil and Pedro come up with, and any other PLplot bug
fixes that are made between now and then.