Hi Jonathan:

It has been a while since you have been in contact with the
plplot-devel mailing list so I hope this email address for you
still works.

An issue has emerged with the extXdrawable_demo application
that you donated way back in 2008 to PLplot. What happened was Jim
Dishaw made a significant plbuf change in 2015 such that interactive
devices are supposed to distinguish between end of page and and wait
states.  So every interactive device had to be adjusted for this
change.  When that adjustment was done for xcairo, the results are
good for -dev xcairo and the ext-cairo-test application you can build
and run by building the test_extcairo target.  However, the
extXdrawable_demo application that you can build and run by building
the test_extXdrawable target does generate a run-time error that was not
there before the cairo adjustment.

Jim could not find the reason for the run-time issue for
extXdrawable_demo so we reverted his change to cairo for the 5.11.1
release of PLplot back in 2015.  However, I have now reinstated that
change (commit 6589caa) because all seems well with xcairo and the
ext-cairo-test application so I feel the chances are good there is a
subtle bug in extXdrawable_demo.  If that is the case, I feel it is
better to expose this bug to motivate fixing it rather than limping
along with having an xcairo device that was fundamentally inconsistent
in a subtle way with plbuf like we have done (probably in error) for
both the 5.11.1 and 5.12.0 releases of PLplot.

Here is the error message you get if you use the -DBUILD_TEST=ON cmake
option for the latest (at least commit 6589caa) git master branch
version of PLplot and build the test_extXdrawable target which builds
extXdrawable_demo and its prerequisites and then runs that
application.  The resulting run-time error messages are as follows:

The program 'extXdrawable_demo' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 183 error_code 3 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/build.make:57: recipe for target
'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable' failed
make[3]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:5428: recipe for target
'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/all] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:5435: recipe for target
'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/rule' failed
make[1]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/rule] Error 2
Makefile:1846: recipe for target 'test_extXdrawable' failed
make: *** [test_extXdrawable] Error 2

Would you be willing to take a look at this error to see if you can
figure out a fix?