On 2017-01-30 22:06-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

[...]
> Here is the error message you get if you use the -DBUILD_TEST=ON cmake
> option for the latest (at least commit 6589caa) git master branch
> version of PLplot and build the test_extXdrawable target which builds
> extXdrawable_demo and its prerequisites and then runs that
> application.  The resulting run-time error messages are as follows:
>
> The program 'extXdrawable_demo' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
>   (Details: serial 183 error_code 3 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
> examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/build.make:57: recipe for target
> 'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable' failed
> make[3]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable] Error 1
> CMakeFiles/Makefile2:5428: recipe for target
> 'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/all' failed
> make[2]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/all] Error 2
> CMakeFiles/Makefile2:5435: recipe for target
> 'examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/rule' failed
> make[1]: *** [examples/CMakeFiles/test_extXdrawable.dir/rule] Error 2
> Makefile:1846: recipe for target 'test_extXdrawable' failed
> make: *** [test_extXdrawable] Error 2
>
> Would you be willing to take a look at this error to see if you can
> figure out a fix?

To Jonathan and Phil:

@Jonathan:

Never mind.  I thought a bit more about this issue and concentrated
specifically on how Jim's change to the xcairo device code could
affect the extXdrawable_demo application alone, and after looking at
the problem that way, the solution was easy.  It turned out that the
split of handling of eop state and wait state had a easy-to-fix bug
(see commit 5b52716 for details) that just affected extXdrawable_demo,
and the net result is the above run-time error has now been completely
addressed.  (It's amazing how often that happens; you take the time to
explain the symptoms of a bug to someone else, and the brain keeps
working on it subconciously and comes up with a fix as in this case.)

@Phil: I believe this only leaves the wxwidgets device driver that
still needs to be adjusted for Jim's plbuf change to split the
handling of the former eop state into handling of the new eop and wait
states.