From: Alan W. Irwin
Sent: 02 October 2017 06:25
To: Phil Rosenberg; PLplot development list
Subject: Is it time to remove some IPC cruft from our wxwidgets-related code?

Hi Phil:

Thanks for all the testing and bug-fixing for wxwidgets that you have
being charging through this weekend.

During the course of that testing (presumably on Windows) I am going
to assume you just used the default given by

option(PL_WXWIDGETS_IPC3 "Use the three-semaphores approach for wxwidgets IPC"
ON)

(i.e., you did not specifically use -DPL_WXWIDGETS_IPC3=OFF). That
default case corresponding to -DPL_WXWIDGETS_IPC3=ON is what I
constantly use on Linux for wxwidgets, and I am happy with it.

Are you happy with your recent experience with the three-semaphores
IPC approach on Windows, i.e., has everything worked as well as with the old
IPC approach with no noticeable slowdowns?  If so and whenever you give
the OK, I propose to remove from our wxwidgets-related code your
original IPC approach which involved a circular buffer code and a
mutex, i.e., all code which is currently compiled only if the
PL_WXWIDGETS_IPC3 macro is NOT #defined.  That change should make both
the -dev wxwidgets code and wxPLViewer code much easier to understand
which is why I am pushing for this change.