On 2018-09-29 09:53+0100 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

[...]
- Alan do you know if it [library suffix] is still implemented and if so what
it is?
There used to be a d suffix added to represent the fact that the
library was built with double precision floating point variables, but
I don't think this is the case any more.

We dropped library suffixes some time ago because of the much cleaner
solution you state below.

[...]
Anyway, my solution was to install my debug libraries in a folder
specific to debug libraries. Almost every library has a way to specify
the install prefix. With plplot you can do this with the
-DCMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH or -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Exactly.