On 2018-11-29 07:45-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

Hi Alan,

I will read this page on my way home, but for now my main critique is that it
does not show up on the front page of the Wiki, whereas the first sentence is:
"We encourage those who build PLplot to test both their build-tree and
installed-examples-tree versions on any Linux, Windows, or Mac OS X platform."

Currently, you have to know the page exists to find it 😉.

Thanks for this good suggestion which I have just implemented (commit
plplot-5.13.0-151-g38f41b6bf
and <https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/wiki/Home/>.

<git blog aside>
I am trying to develop the habit of using "git describe" to describe
all commits as above.  For those who don't know about "describe"
results yet, "plplot-5.13.0-151" says the commit is the 151st since
plplot-5.13.0, and "g38f41b6bf" says the git commit id is 38f41b6bf
(i.e. drop the "g" which I assume stands for git, but it is easy to
remember to drop it in any case since "g" is not hexadecimal).
</git blog aside>

By the way, this change fitted in well with the current organization
of that Home page which I like.  So I believe the only real issue with
our wiki at that stage is too many of the pages are severely outdated.
To illustrate this point, here are the current results adapted from
<https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/wiki/browse_tags/>

2006    Configure_PLplot_for_Borland_CXX_5.5_(free_command_line_tools)
2007
Configure_PLplot_for_Borland_Turbo_C++_Explorer_Edition_(free_IDE_and_compiler)
2008    Additional_notes_for_ifort_users; Aquaterm; Debugging_code;
Documenting_the_undocumented; List_of_Debian_Ubuntu_packages; Mac_OSX; Qhull;
Setup_watcom
2009    Apply_a_patch; Configuration_of_wxWidgets_driver; Freetype;
Frequently_Asked_Questions; Lua; OCaml_tutorial; Qt; Setup_mingw;
Submit_a_patch; Swig; Using_PLplot; WxWidgets
2010    Cairo_pango; Configure_PLplot_for_MinGW_CLI; Git_miscellanea;
Install_3rd_party_libraries; Install_Lua; Install_MinGW_MSYS; Install_Octave;
Install_SWIG; Install_Tcl; Libgd; Third-party_libraries
2011    Building_PLplot_with_a_cross-compiler; Mac_OSX_Status; Todo_List
2012    Configure_PLplot_for_Visual_CXX_CLI
2013    Install_Python; Setup_Visual_Studio_Express; Setup_visualc;
Specifics_for_various_platforms
2014    Building_PLplot; Configure_PLplot_for_the_Visual_Studio_IDE;
General_CMake_documentation_links
2015    CMake_options_for_PLplot; Configure_PLplot_for_cygwin; Linux;
Setup_cygwin
2017    Overview_of_the_status_on_Windows
2018    Home; MinGW-w64-MSYS2; Testing_PLplot; Testing_Reports

From this list only 9 of our 54 pages have been updated since 2014!

To all those here who would like to help out with our wiki.  Please
pick one of the topics above and update the corresponding markdown
format file in doc/wiki_source, and commit that change to a local
topic branch of your git repository.

Those here who are not core developers should send us your suggested
change in "git format-patch" form.  After applying your commit on our
own local topic branch, we will review your suggested change, cut and
paste it to the SF GUI editor for the wiki page in question, test the
resulting changed wiki page (e.g., check the history GUI to make sure
there were no cut and paste failures, check the new links, check the
rendering of the markdown format looks good), amend your commit if
necessary, and push your (amended) commit following the directions in
README.developers.

Core developers here can skip the "git format-patch" command, but
otherwise do everything else in the paragraph above (just like I did
for Home) to update wiki pages that are important to you.