On 2019-05-21 18:21-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

AM: Well, I did have wxWidgets installed, I was looking for the wrong file names. So, I
rebuilt PLplot with "MSYS Makefiles", as that does enable CMake to find the
wxWidgets library, but alas, the result is a run-time error: some discrepancy between the
ABI in various libraries. See the attached screenshot.

For the record when you ran into this issue before (several years ago,
now) the screenshot back then said the following:

Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected. The
library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1008,wx
containers,compatible with 2.8), and your program used 3.0
(wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,wx containers,compatible with
2.8).

And the solution that worked back then was to adopt -fabi-version=8 (note the 8
matches
the 8 in ABI 1008 used to build the wxwidgets system library).

However, your latest screenshot has the following text:

Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected. The
library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1013,wx
containers,compatible with 2.8), and your program used 3.0
(wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1011,wx containers,compatible with
2.8).

where those 1013 and 1011 numbers are quite important showing that
currently the problem is your compiler is *older* than the one used to
build the system library (as opposed to the result in the past where
your compiler was *newer* than the one used to build the system
library).

Indeed, if you look at the report tarball you sent me ~5 days ago for this
platform the
result is

-- cxx_compiler_library_pathname_list =
C:/msys64/mingw64/lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/7.3.0/libstdc++.dll.a; [...]

i.e., you are using version 7.3.0 of g++ which is greatly out of date since
(from
<http://repo.msys2.org/mingw/x86_64/>) the latest
g++ version provided by the mingw repo is 8.3.0-2.

So it appears your attempt to update your MSYS2 system in place did
not work for at least g++.  I have no clue why that issue occurred,
but I would never advise you to try an update in place again since you
could end up with no MSYS2 system working at all if something goes
wrong with that procedure.  Thus, the only solution I can recommend
for the current "old g++" issue is simply to install MSYS2 from
scratch.  (N.B. with a separate install prefix so you preserve your
current system just in case something goes wrong with that install
from scratch.)

I would say that concludes most tests for this platform. What is left is the
comprehensive testing and documenting what works and what does not work.

From what you have said before, the install from scratch should be
trivial now since you have automated virtually everything for that
install.  However, time is of the essence since my current goal is to
release before this weekend (likely on Friday).  So if you don't have
time to do that install then I would be happy to settle for a
comprehensive test with wxwidgets disabled before that deadline.  So
do the other time pressures you have allow you to conform to that
deadline (with or without an install from scratch) or would you prefer I
delay the ETA beyond Friday?

In any case, the sooner you can give me a comprehensive test result
the better since it has been a long time since you have had complete
success with that script (where the the issues that are not release
critical have been bypassed).  So there is still a chance that your
forthcoming attempt at more complete testing that is allowed by such
bypasses will find a release-critical issue.