Hi Alan, Jim, Arjen

I will try and sort that submitted patch asap.

I will also experiment with MSYS2 - I now have a windows laptop at
work and need a linux-like system on there. I did intend to use the
Ubuntu Bash on Windows System, but my IT dept seem to have blocked
this - at least for now. So I may try MSYS2 ather than Cygwin.

I would also like to get the wxWidgets driver sorted as you described.
This is time limited unfortunately.

Just a note about MSVC, what are the ABI concerns you have? It is of
note that GCC for windows does not provide ABI forward compatibility
https://stackoverflow.com/a/23521099. My understanding is that MSVC's
C ABI is consistent across versions and I just did a quick google and
found that for C++ MSVC2015, 2017 and 2019 are all ABI compatible.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/cpp-binary-compatibility-and-pain-free-upgrades-to-visual-studio-2019/

Interestingly it looks like Microsoft is also developing some sort of
open source library packaging system, called Vcpkg, to reduce the
existing pain of having to build all open source libraries from
scratch
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/vcpkg-a-tool-to-acquire-and-build-c-open-source-libraries-on-windows/.
Might be worth looking into. Had a quick scan down the list of
available libraries and Cairo, Pango, Curl, wxWidgets are there. HA HA
- JUST CHECKED AND SO IS PLPLOT!!! At version 5.13.

Phil