Hi Vincent:

On 2019-03-15 09:55+0100 Vincent MAGNIN wrote:

Hi Alan,

I have finally successfully build gtk-fortran & PLplot>=5.13, as you can see on this screenshot:

https://github.com/vmagnin/gtk-fortran/blob/gtk3/screenshots/hl_plplot8e_MSYS2_Windows7.png

Nice screenshot, and excellent news!

But I used a workaround. Instead of using find_package(plplot), we use pkg-config, which gives us everything we need to build the whole:

[...]

It was tested OK in:

* Kubuntu 18.10: gfortran 8.2.0, PLplot 5.13
* Fedora 29: gfortran 8.3.1, PLplot 5.13
* MSYS2 / Windows 7: gfortran 8.3.0, PLplot 5.14
* Ubuntu Sid with the PLplot 5.14 installed using CMake. The command
  for building gtk-fortran was:
  |PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/osboxes/myplplot/lib/pkgconfig cmake -D
  CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/osboxes/myplplot ..|

Under FreeBSD 12.0, it does not work because PLplot is 5.12.0, and the PLplot library have been renamed only in the 5.13 version.

It is great that all those different platforms are working.  However, I suggest
you should build PLplot-5.14.0 (similar to your Sid approach) on each of these
platforms (including FreeBSD 12.0) to take advantage of the large number of
PLplot bug fixes that have occurred for that version compared to previous
versions.

I will still work on a purer CMake solution using find_package(plplot). But at the moment, the pkg-config is very satisfying for the user since it works on every tested platform.

It is good that the pkg-config alternative is working well for you.
But that is a legacy approach so it is also good you are still working
on getting our preferred "pure" approach working for you.  And, of
course, if you find any bugs in that preferred approach or anything
you don't understand about it, please let us know.

Note also that two of our PLplot examples give harmless warnings:

|$ ./hl_plplot30e Plplot Fortran Warning: plscmap1la: inconsistent sizes for intensity, coord1, coord2, coord3, alpha, and/or alt_hue_path ||$ ./hl_plplot4e Plplot Fortran Warning: pllegend: inconsistent sizes for the following arrays: opt_array text_colors text ...|

Some of our arrays transmitted to PLplot functions seem to be declared with an incorrect size.

I am glad to hear that these warnings are harmless in your case, i.e.,
our default action (typically using a size corresponding to the
smaller of the arrays) when inconsistent array sizes are specified is
working for you.  But, of course, it is better to fix these issues by
specifying consistently sized arrays.

Finally, thank you very much, Alan, for the help you gave me.

You are welcome.  And, of course, you testing PLplot on all those different
platforms is a big help to us as well.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin