On 2019-03-19 18:24-0300 Fernando M. Roxo da Motta wrote:

 Hi all,

 I am trying to build the sample programs in Fortran of PLPLOT.   I am
just adapting the Makefile from an older version, as Ubuntu seems to
have the Fortran sample programs removed from the distribution.  :/

 I am using [Xu|U]buntu 18.04 LTS and Plplot 5.13.

 The problem I am having is during make fase:

$ make
/usr/bin/gfortran  x00f.f90 -o x00f
`PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib/pkgconfig" pkg-config  --cflags --libs
plplot-fortran` -lplfortrandemolib x00f.f90:46:37:

    call plparseopts( PL_PARSE_FULL )
                                    1
Error: There is no specific subroutine for the generic ‘plparseopts’ at
(1) Makefile:74: recipe for target 'x00f' failed
make: *** [x00f] Error 1

 The pkg-config returns:

$ pkg-config  --cflags --libs plplot-fortran
-I/usr/include/plplot
-I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fortran/modules/plplot
-I/usr/include/plplot -lplplotfortran

 Even if I try to compile other samples I get a similar result:

$ make x01f
/usr/bin/gfortran  x01f.f90 -o x01f
`PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib/pkgconfig" pkg-config  --cflags --libs
plplot-fortran` -lplfortrandemolib x01f.f90:170:31:

   call plstyl( 1, 1500, 1500 )
                              1
Error: There is no specific subroutine for the generic ‘plstyl’ at (1)
x01f.f90:173:25:

   call plstyl( 0, 0, 0 )
                        1
Error: There is no specific subroutine for the generic ‘plstyl’ at (1)
x01f.f90:34:34:

   call plparseopts(PL_PARSE_FULL)
                                 1
Error: There is no specific subroutine for the generic ‘plparseopts’ at
(1) Makefile:74: recipe for target 'x01f' failed
make: *** [x01f] Error 1

 Does anyone has an idea about what is going on?

Hi Roxo:

Thanks for your interest in PLplot, and, yes, I am pretty
sure I know what is going on.

There have been a number of important backwards-incompatible
Fortran changes for recent releases of PLplot (see
README.cumulated_release for the details) and the Fortran examples
have been changed to reflect that for each release.  Therefore, it is
important to use Fortran examples that are consistent with whatever
release you are using for PLplot, and I am pretty sure from what you
posted above that you don't have such Fortran example consistency right now.

To solve this, I suggest you build PLplot from the latest release
(PLplot-5.14.0) yourself.  5.14.0 has important bug fixes relative to
5.13.0 so 5.14.0 is the version we recommend (and the only version
we support).

The 5.14.0 tarball will include Fortran examples that are consistent
with that release.  See our
[wiki](https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/wiki/Home/) for how to build
and test 5.14.0.  It is one of those deals where it is completely
straightforward "if you know how".  However, if you have any trouble
following those instructions, don't hesitate to ask here for further
help.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin