On Mon, Nov 05, 2001, Bill Janssen wrote:
> How about the viewer? Does this provide enough information to
> actually implement the necessary viewer changes?

How should the viewer render the segments? Should it show the text as
"one" document (i.e. merge the current and next/previous segment)?
That would require two simultaneously opened records and also *MAJOR*
changes to several parts of the viewer (like the scrolling, session
handling, etc.)

How do you jump to another segment? E.g. if you are in the first
segment and select "Jump to bottom" the viewer would have to parse
*all* segments between the first and the last to know what segment it
should jump to. That would be slow...

Possible solution: include info about the next/previous record at the
top of each record segment. That way the viewer can find the record
reference without parsing the whole record.

A scrollbar/jump location relative to the number of paragraphs could
be a problem. In a document that is one huge paragraph the scrollbar
would not be of any help to the user. Neither will the scrollbar/jump
location be updated while you scroll *within* a paragraph. Could be
confusing.

When a named anchor points to a different segment than the first one
you would have to traverse back to the first segment to know the total
amount of paragraphs or you can't set the scrollbar/jump location.

Possible solution: include the total number of paragraphs in every
segment.

That would leave us with a function code that requires twice as much
data (6 bytes). Anyway, I doubt 6 extra bytes per segment will be a
problem...

/Mike