> > Sections would definately be an easier way to deal with
> configurations (for
> > not the least of which, it would absolve of having to keep switching and
> > creating/destroying config objects).
>
> I can send you a diff with the changes I had to do to make it work
> with sections instead of different config files. Not that many changes.
>
> Maybe you can find something useful in it.

Yes please. By all means.
I did an implementation of sections, but there is probably better ways of
doing it.

> > I was wondering about where to best save a channels's home.html,
>
> Many "channels" will not have a home.html file, i.e. they will just
> include a URL to the contents.
>
> Others will have a local html file, but not necessarily a home.html
> file that is part of Plucker.

Currently they are generated, (didn't read your message until today).
:)
Perhaps a create-on-demand would be okay, so the unwashed masses don't have
have to think about creating this lower-level item, but if the home.html
isn't ever used, it is never created. And/or a checkbox in advanced tab of
main dialog to turn off generation if so desired?
I was debating also on whether to ever ask the unwashed masses for a section
name, or to just generate it from the channel name (sans spaces and illegal
characters), and provide a button (showing a popup dialog) at the top of the
channel dialog to change the section if they so desire, as the parameter to
store settings is more of a lower-level thing, and is more of a nitty-gritty
"how is this action being executed" rather than answering a "what do I want
to do".

> > Also, farther down the road, a channels cache directory will probably
> > raise in importance as the stuff in it will likely be examined and
> > reused.

> If the user wants to create a local file with links using
> the desktop tool's HTML editor then it could be stored in ~/.plucker
> (or a subdir) given a unique name instead of having a lot of home.html
> files in different directories.

There is sort of alot of things already in ~/.plucker, so might get a bit
stifling to start dropping in random html files into the root directory. If
specifying a spot for it (as a subdir) it seems more extensible to make it a
place to tie its cache directory along with it too, plus leaving the door
open to whatever channel-specific files are needed in the future (eg a
channel's cookie file, or something like that). While caches and cookie
files and icon.bmps can be all over the place in the user's hard drive, it
seems easier to have a logical default pattern for them to follow to keep
things tidy, while they are becoming comfortable with the new program. From
the user standpoint though I reckon most won't care one way or the other as
long as things work out of the box without alot of hassle.

Some gaps were filled in yesterday and today (the exclusion dialog I think
looks quite pretty), also put in the image handling for inserting hyperlinks
and a rewrite to section configs as you suggested, plus some other stuff to
get ready to put to main cvs to see if there are some kind folks out there
who want to roll up their sleeves. I think we are turning the half-way point
as far as getting the core-functionality, and its starting to take good
shape.

Just for curiosity, would it be possible to post a screenshot of what your
copy looks like on your computer, so it is easier to get an idea of what
things look like?

Best wishes,
Robert