On Mon, Oct 07, 2002, Bill Janssen wrote:
> The distiller should never put in images that are too big, and if
> it does, you discover it when you uncompress the image anyway, and
> it's an error in the document.

It's not that simple. I can create a document with 4bpp images that
will display just fine on my TRGpro, but not on my Palm III. I don't
think that is an "error" in the document.

If the viewer doesn't have access to the bit depth it will have to
display an empty area if it later finds out that it can't display
the image, i.e. it will not be possible to show any alternate text
(would require that we redo the whole layout).

/Mike